Saturday, March 15, 2008

More on Muthurwa Market and the Dog's Master

I am attaching a Google Earth screen shot to highlight the magnitude of the planning problem our city planners have created by re-routing the matatu's. Marked blue are the major road arteries used by matatu's. Of course when there is a jam then other alternatives are used. Now all the matatu's from the east have been directed to go to the stop right before the Muthurwa market. The road is narrow and a dead end...leaving no room for our favourite road rules flouters...matatu drivers. No wonder people have to go to city stadium to get their transport home.

Michuki just announced that Thika Road will be made into a 10 lane superhighway. That is good news as long as thoughts are made on how and where the 10 lanes will end. I hope we do not get into the Nigerian situation where 4 lanes converge into 1! I cannot find photo of the highway online but its in Rem Kohlhaas book Lagos: How It Works.

On a lighter note now that we are talking of Lagos, I am sure by now you must have received a picture like the one below in your email inbox taken somewhere in Nigeria. I remember receiving a similar one taken from a mobile phone some years back and my Nigerian relatives told me that the boys were either selling bush meat (yani these guys eat hyenas!) or they were selling "fierce dogs". Well I stumbled upon an explanation which can be found here and photos can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment